As a communications major here at Florida State, I've grown to learn how essential and beneficial one can be by communicating in the right manner. Something I feel that should be taught more in todays schools maybe starting at the 8th or 9th grade level is communicating properly, and by that I mean knowing how to respond to a certain question or statement using the right words, and how to ask a question or statement when needed. I think public speaking is essential to anyone in life no matter what career one is trying to pursue. Having students make powerpoint presentations and presenting them in class is ideal and really can break a students shell of being shy and being able to talk out loud to anyone and about anything. One thing I think needs learning are bigger words that aren't in the average persons vocabulary on a daily basis. Learning to use bigger words and expanding your vocabulary can really make a difference when talking to someone no matter what the topic is about.

I really like the tools and resources on the CPALMS educator toolkit for world languages. I have family in both Colombia and Brazil, and one thing they've told me is growing up in schools there they teach English and teach it more and proficient than we teach another language such as Spanish for example here in America. Teaching kids gestures, what to do, and what not to do when meeting someone from a foreign place. Some countries have different ways of greeting or saying goodbye. Some places might find the way you greet someone offensive and vise verse. I think it's important to know and have an open mind on how other cultures communicate.

I've never really used MS to create any sort of specific letter, invitation, newsletter or anything of that nature. I found it interesting. There were a few things that I had trouble on trying to figure out how to put something where I wanted or moving something around but I figured it out. It's definitely something I plan on getting better at and it's something that if you're good at, it is very beneficial. I could really improve on small things such as knowing exactly how to do what is asked and doing it right away instead of playing around with the program or asking google.

Comments

  1. Love your problem-solving process. I believe once you figure out how to accomplish something on your own, you will remember it much better than simply watching someone's demo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #6